All photography provided by members of the Vanna Church community.
Vanna United Methodist Church is an active congregation of loyal members, some long-time residents of the area, and some who are newer residents of the community. All of us work together to serve the Vanna Community and our Lord Jesus Christ.
Highlighting Our Past
The original church building was constructed around 1820, in a location about one-and-one-half miles west of its present location. It was made of hewn logs, and, according to three rock pillars which were found long after the building was gone, most likely approximately 22 x 28 feet. At that time, the church was called “Bethel”, meaning “house of God.”
About 1850 or 1855 the church was set up about 100 yards east of the present building at Vanna. It, too, was a log structure, and the name of the church was changed to “Fellowship”. This building remained the house of worship until approximately 1870 or 1875, when church services began to be held in the old Vanna School, located about 100 yards west of the church’s present location.
Around 1885 a new church was erected between the present church and the brick home to the left of the present church. In 1907 the present church was built, and the name changed to “Vanna” shortly after that, during the ministry of W.A. Maxwell, of whom it was said, “He was a great preacher.”
Over the years, the Vanna Church has been part of several different “circuts”, including Royston, Pennington Chapel, Carroll’s Church, Redwine Canon, Gaines Chapel, Bowman and others. It is currently on a circuit with the Carnesville United Methodist Church.
During the spring of 1947, six classrooms were added to the church billing. They were used for the first time on Easter Sunday, April 6, 1947. In 1954 hardwood floors, carpets, new pews and pulpit furniture changed the looks of the interior of the Sanctuary. In 1955 gas floor furnace and heaters were installed, and in 1956 a new piano was bought.
In 1961, the front porch was enclosed and side porches and awnings were added. In the summer of 1964 work was started on the Fellowship Hall. The Educational Building was constructed in the early 1990s. Most recent innovations to the physical structure involve the addition of the side ramp (2007) and the renovation of the Fellowship Hall in 2008.
Vanna is a small membership church, but it is one with loyal members who love the Lord and who provide a faithful presence and great service to this community to this day. May it always be so!
Our Present and Our Future
We are active supporters of local missions, including Rainbow Pantry, extending our outreach beyond our walls. We have wonderful fellowship together, and we have a bright future through our youth and children!
We worship together on Sundays at 9:30 A.M., celebrating Holy Communion on the first Sunday of each month, and on other special occasions throughout the church year. Sunday School for all ages follows the worship service at 10:30 A.M. We have an active choir and a monthly potluck in the Fellowship Hall. Visitors are always welcome, and we hope to see you soon!